Sunday, February 21, 2010

Uh-oh....How does the national anthem go again?




So tonight was THE game in Olympics between the USA and CANADA Hockey teams.  It was a great intense exciting game and unfortunately not won by Canada.  So what does that mean to me?  That I may have to sing the States national anthem at work- decked out in whatever a certain co-worker decides.  Not sure I should have made the bet......not that I'm chicken or anything.....um.....Canada better win!!
So I thought I would look in to the national anthem of the States, I have heard it many times at the same places that the Canadian national anthem would be song at in Canada. Hockey games, football games, etc... I would start the anthem off and then muddle thru the middle and chime back in at  "...home of the free.....".  So I am preparing myself for having to learn it- (because Murphys law follows me around, if I learn it I may not have to sing it).
So if you see me please don't quiz me- my little bit of pride I have is being pricked at!!


So here are the words:
O! say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?









Now upon looking this up- I have found out that there are many more verses just like Canada has too.  And I suppose if I did a general questioning of americans they would either not know there were other lyrics and/or not be able to recite them.  Funny its like that in Canada too.  The difference with Canada is that there are verses in English, French and Inuit.  The Inuit is new to me- I don't even want to begin to try and pronounce the way it is sung.  So I am very happy that the States is only in English....for now......
So hoping not to sing, TTYL!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment